Design and Technology
At Ladycross, we believe that Design and Technology (D&T) is about designing and making products for a specific need or purpose. It involves children learning about the world they live in and developing a wide range of skills through designing and making.
Design and technology encourages children to learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems as individuals and as members of a team. They are taught to look for opportunities and respond to them by developing a range of ideas and making a range of products. They reflect on and evaluate present and past design technology, its uses and its effectiveness.
How is learning in DT structured across the school?
The curriculum for children in our Nursery and Reception classes (EYFS) is structured across seven areas of learning rather than subject areas. The most relevant early years outcomes for DT are taken from the following areas of learning:
- Physical Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design To find out more about the Early Learning Goals and how they link to Design and Technology click here.
The National Curriculum for Pupils in KS1 states children should be taught the following:
- design purposeful, functional, appealing products for themselves and other users based on design criteria.
- generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through talking, drawing, templates, mock-ups and where appropriate, information and communications technology.
- select from and use a range of tools and equipment to perform practical tasks, for example cutting, shaping, joining and finishing.
- select from and use a wide range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients, according to their characteristics.
- explore and evaluate a range of existing products.
- evaluate their ideas and products against design criteria.
- build structures, exploring how they can be made stronger, stiffer and more stable.
- explore and use mechanisms, for example levers, sliders, wheels and axels in their products.
Food and Nutrition
- use the basic principles of a healthy and varied diet to prepare dishes
- understand where food comes from.
Victoria Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire NG10 5JD